Saturday, July 16, 2011

Life's a Beach

"The cure for anything is salt water; sweat, tears or the sea." -Isak Dinesen

So, today's workout was pretty chill. After 3 consecutive days of kickboxing, I slept in today and awoke to the feeling that I wanted...no, needed to work out outside!

So, it was off to the beach. I'm lucky enough to live 10 minutes from the sand and sea and no more than an hour from any beach I'd like to go to. This morning, though, it was just enough to do a walk/jog on a 3 mile stretch of pavement and end with a leisurely stroll back on the sand. I love taking my shoes off and just walking in my bare feet on the sand. It's actually a better workout, because the sand offers resistance. And to me, it just feels great, to be near the tide and feel the cool sand between my toes and the combination of the sun and the salty ocean air on my face. 6 miles was nothing when I was feeling this zen.

I remember last summer I barely got to go to the beach at all because I was at my miserable retail management job all the time (no exaggeration there!) and so far this summer, I've been lucky enough to actually enjoy all this beach I've taken for granted in the past. Not just for exercise purposes, of course, but to catch some sun and hang with my friends. Now that's good stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment