Monday, June 27, 2011

Anatomy of a Gym Bag

Now that I'm (happily) back in full workout mode, and enjoying the full use of all ten toes, I thought I'd post about the gym. More specifically, what I bring to the gym.



Currently, I work out at Boston Sports Club, which is really nice and has showers, hair dryers, complimentary shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap and moisturizer. It also has a sauna and a steam room, but I haven't had time to use either-yet!

Even with all these amenities, a girl needs a few-or more-things to get herself ready for the day after a workout! I always used to shower at home, but with time constraints between work-out and work, I now do my getting ready while I'm at the gym, as many women do. And since I like to work out in the morning, I need to make sure I'm prepared with my clothes for the day, shoes, make-up, etc. And a fully stocked gym bag is key!



1. No matter where you work out, having a lock for your gym locker is a good idea. Again, my gym is very nice and I've found the people to be great, but I did have an ipod stolen while I was in the shower
(worse, it was my mom's ipod!) so a lock is a must, in my opinion. A pink lock is optional.

2. flip-flops. I cannot stress the importance of a pair of rubber flip-flops enough! You can get them pretty much anywhere, especially now that summer is here. They're inexpensive (I got my Havianas from Marshalls for $5.99) and they'll save you from getting a foot fungus--And can you really put a price on that?

3. Portable hair dryer. If your gym doesn't provide this amenity, it helps to bring one!

4. Portable straightener and/or curling iron. Read above. Same idea. I carry a mini version of the hair straightener I have at home.




5. De-tangler comb. I found this at CVS and I love it! You can hang it on the shower and it really does de-tangle wet hair quick and in a hurry! (again, doesn't have to be pink!)

5. Hair towel. Or in my case, the Turbie. It's nice to be able to keep your hair out of your face while washing it and applying make-up. I look like a total dork wearing it but I love the thing! I even found one with an "M" on it (Yes. In pink) If you don't want to bring another towel, a stretchy hairband works just as well.
(She looks way cooler doing this than I do)

7. Wipes. They can be any kind, as long as they're able to do the job of taking your making off and cleaning up a post-workout face. You can buy a package at Sephora, Ulta or CVS. Or you can even grab some baby wipes. I keep a pack of Johnson's baby hand and face wipes in my gym bag and my car.  And if I don't have time to do my skin routine, I also love Olay Daily Facial towelettes, especially in the summer. A good wipe-down with those and a spritz of toning water and I am good to go, June through Labor Day!



8. Deodorant. Hopefully this one is a no-brainer.






9. Travel-size shampoo and conditioner. It gets to be a hassle bringing your own bottles back and forth from home. An even better (and more economical) idea is to get the empty travel size containers and fill 'em up as needed.


10. Toothbrush. Or, if you don't want to bring a toothbrush around with you, The Colgate "wisps" are both tiny and efficient at getting your pearly whites shining and your breath minty fresh!


I think I've covered everything, let me know if I've left anything out and happy gym mornings to all my fellow early birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment