Sunday, June 12, 2011

Get to the Greek!



Greek Yogurt is one food I eat in some form or another almost daily--if not, at least five days out of seven. It is such an incredibly versatile food and it's also super yummy and sooooo good for you too!

As a vegetarian I use it because it's a great source of protein (20 grams per cup as opposed to 10 or 12 in regular yogurt) and it doesn't have any added sugar that most yogurt brands contain, so it's lower in carbohydrates. It's low in fat and calories--I'm not counting carbs or calories--depending on the kind you buy, low in sodium and high in calcium and can actually improve lactose intolerance. I'm mildly lactose intolerant but I can enjoy as much of this thick n creamy yogurt as I want and not get a belly ache.

Because of its growing popularity, there are lots more flavors, brands and options to choose from.


I'm a big fan of Chobani yogurt. It's probably my favorite. But I also like Oikos because...



They started making caramel and chocolate flavors which are an awesome dessert choice!



Here's a little break down of the nutritional values in comparison to other brands:


greek-yogurt-cabot greek-yogurt-oikos greek-yogurt-face greek-yogurt-chobani

YogurtCALORIES
(g)
TOTAL FAT
(g)
CHOLESTEROL
(g)
SODIUM
(g)
SUGARS
(g)
PROTEIN
(g)
Cabot Plain (6 oz.)21017558067
Chobani Plain (6 oz.)240176560614
Fage Total Classic (7 oz.)26320.135576.113.1
Oikos Plain (5.3 oz.)900060615


And here are some of the ways I use my yogurt:


  • In place of sour cream on a baked sweet potato
  • As a dip or salad dressing 
  • As a snack/dessert mixed with honey and walnuts
  • As a tasty side to a salad lunch
  • To thicken and add a protein boost to smoothies
  • As a frozen yogurt (recipe below)

Vanilla Greek Frozen Yogurt
2 cups reduced-fat or non-fat (2-0 %) plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
Stir together Greek yogurt, honey and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour until well chilled. Freeze but let it soften for about ten minutes for serving. Easy, right?
Makes about 1 pint (4 servings)

No comments:

Post a Comment