HAPPY CINCO de MAYO!
(And, yes, I am aware that Cinco de Mayo was yesterday)
...However, I didn't get a chance to post yesterday because I was so busy enjoying delicious pomegrante margaritas and
shots of tequila quesedillas. Also, found the most amazing recipe for margarita cupcakes (Yes. You read that right. Cupcakes) that I just HAVE to share!
Cinco de Mayo may be over for this year, but you can enjoy these babies all summer long!
Yield: 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 C lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
- 1 C plain or vanilla soy milk (Regular 2% milk would also work.)
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 2 tsp tequila
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C sugar
- 1 1/3 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil , tequila, vanilla and sugar.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the lime mixture and stir until just combined.
- Divide evenly among 12 cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350 F for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed.
While the flavor was spot on, I found the original frosting recipe to be a bit too clumpy. Here is my modified version. You may also consider cutting this recipe in half. I ended up with a lot more than I needed.
- 1/4 C butter or nonhydrogenated shortening, melted
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream or soymilk
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp tequila
- 2+ C confectioners’ sugar
- coarse colored sugar and salt for “rims”
- Umbrella toppers (optional)
- Cream together butter/nonhydrogenated shortening (depending on whether you want the frosting vegan or not), heavy whipping cream or soymilk, lime juice, tequila, and confectioners’ sugar.
- Add in more sugar as needed to make the frosting smooth and spreadable.
- Spread the frosting on the cupcakes.
- Combine colored sugar and salt in a small bowl.
- Roll the edge of each cupcake in the sugar/salt mixture.
- Top with umbrellas.