Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wonder Women



I think there are days when we all wish we had super powers.

The ability to move at lightening speed. X-Ray vision. Time Travel. Foresight. Moving elements. Moving objects. Telepathy. Invincibility. Saving innocent lives. Flying without the help of an airplane. Becoming invisible at will. Leaping tall buildings in a single bound...

Yeah. Being a super heroine doesn't sound like a bad gig at all.

I, personally, am not a huge comic book fan, and the rush of superhero movies that Hollywoods has been pushing one after another over the past decade aren't really anything I get excited over. But after seeing X:Men Origins (a.k.a. Hugh Jackman and his fantastic body) I started think a little bit about this whole superhero thing. Female super heroes, in particular.

I know on any given day I'd like to think I'm a modern day Wonder Woman. And I know a lot of women who are the same way. Trying to tackle everything all at once and making sure than everything we do is done right.


I've been called a perfectionist, an over-achiever, and a people pleaser. Not necessarily bad things to be, but I wonder, am I really just trying to be Super Girl? To prove (even to myself) That I can do anything and everything, and kick butt at it?

Jump into workouts. Read ahead. Study harder. Eat better. Clean. Organize. Have a career. Find a Husband. Have a family. Have it all. Perfect. Be the best sister, wife, mother, daughter, employee, employer, student, teach, nurse, doctor...

In an age where we've been brought up learning that "girls can do anything boys can do" and that "you can have, do or be anything"

Do some of us girls interpret "I can do anything." as "I can (and should) do everything." ?

I wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment