Friday, May 13, 2011

Couch to 5k


In a word?
AWESOME!

This program is what I started myself on in my quest to start running...And like doing it. It's working!

C25K, is designed to get just about anyone from the couch to running 5 kilometers or 30 minutes in just 9 weeks. And while I'm no slouch (I frequent the gym 4-6 times a week and I love working out) I've never run for any extended amount of time.

The secret to this program is that it's a gentle introduction to getting the body moving, starting off alternating between walking and running small distances, and slowly building up until after 8 weeks, you're ready to run 5 kilometers or 30 minutes non stop. I think it's also the main factor in why it's easy to stick with. There's no frustration of "I can't do this!" and ending up quitting.

The best part? The app is available on itunes for $4.99 (worth every cent, in my opinion)
You also have your own "coach" telling you when to start warming up, running, walking, how much further you have to go, when it's time to cool down, etc.
AND you can have your own music from your songs or playlists playing throughout your work out.

The C25K program is broken up into 3 sessions/workouts a week.

This is what week 1 looks like:
warm up: 5 mins
run: 1 min
walk: 90 seconds
run: 1 min
walk: 90 seconds
...and so on, for a total of 20 mins of alternating walking or running, all at your own pace
cool down: 5 mins

I just finished day 3. The way I've been doing it is really simple. I start off on the treadmill with my warm up, which consists of walking at a speed of around 2.8-3.5 at an incline of 1-2.5
(for 5 mins)

Then I jog/run at a level 5 and walk at a level 3.5, no incline.
After an interval or two, I up my "running speed" to 5.8 or 6.0 and walk at 3.8
I try to make my last minute of running a 7.0 and finish off by walking at 4.2 at a 2.2 incline.
(20 mins)

I hit "cool down" on the treadmill at right about the same time my little virtual trainer tells me it's time to cool down. From there, it's a nice easy 5 minute walk, and I feel amazing!
(30 mins total)

I can't wait to start week 2!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment